Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Nov 2009 05:42:41 EST
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stiff Accelerator - '90 2.1 Automatic

In a message dated 10/11/2009 2:55:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

Jeff, congratulations on getting that project to fruition. You have learned a lot of valuable lessons. The 2.1 coolant systems are pretty much self bleeding so in a few days of driving and cooling off overnight all air in the system will have been bled out to the overflow tank. Just keep the overflow tank up to the Max line and if it stays there then the system is tight and good to go. If that overflow tank keeps loosing fluid then there is a leak somewhere and the bleeding out of the air will not happen correctly. Did you check the throttle body movement ? It has it's own internal spring plus a additional spring to the plenum. It should move freely and without much effort. Disconnect the throttle cable and see if it moves freely. Check all the linkage from the tranny to the throttle body for free movement.

So far only have about 50 miles on it and now that I have the coolant system bled (not perfectly but getting better) everything seems real good.

So on to my question. My accelerator is really stiff. It was like this before but I just lived with it. Well, I think I'm tired of living with it. It's still enough that on longer trips my foot starts to hurt (sometimes falls asleep) holding the accelerator down. It move smoothly enough but I have the right leg muscle of a body builder by the time we finish up long runs.

So far as I can tell everything is hooked up properly - accelerator cable is new, throttle moved freely and easily by hand, return spring is new, and I've greased every moving part from the trans lever back to the throttle assembly.

So any ideas? Could it be that the trans lever is in the "wrong position" somehow - I'm just not sure but it would be a dream to figure out a way to correct this. So your thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated.<<<<<<<<

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ (http://frankcondelli.com/trainsal.htm) ) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://frankcondelli.com/busindex.html) - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://frankcondelli.com/exhaust.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://www.busfusion.com/) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 10 ~ 13, 2010