Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:32:56 -0800
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Headlight mods: was RE: Does the H4 bulb put out more light than
              the 9004 bulb?

'87 GL: All of the adjusters on my headlights had rotted away and I never liked the output/pattern of the stock lights anyway so I decided to try the mod described here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=274814

$20 for the lights at the boneyard (make sure to get the springs); $7 for the connectors at a FLAPS, and about 3 hours work. That is, the first one took just under two hours; the second about a half-hour, plus hooking up the connectors and reinstallation. I have to do the same to my '86; I'm thinking it should take about half the time now that I've worked out the process.

According to Stern, they're apparently not the kind of lights you're supposed to be able to aim 'by hand' so to speak, but I got a nice pattern by following the directions on his site. I've been flashed twice in six months, both times when I had a full load of camping stuff, and both times by cars that I thought already had their high beams on, ironically enough. I'm due to replace my rear shocks so I'll do that and then consider the effect on the aim.

I'm going to get the adjuster sets for the stock high beams and reinstall them along with a relay setup. I haven't really considered what I might be able to do to increase output/visibility, but I don't know that I need to, at least for the conditions around here.

Cya, Robert