Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Nov 2009 00:27:37 -0600
From:         Mike South <msouth@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      '85 Westy Wiring question about the S9 fuse

Hi,

I have been putting in an auxiliary battery kit and unfortunately I cut the wrong wire.

I was supposed to cut the red-and-white wire on the S9, (top of the fuse), but I cut the plain red wire instead.

By the time I realized what I had done, I had already gathered the wires to put into the connector, so I could no longer rely on proximity to tell me which wire was originally connected to which "stump".

There are four cut wires. I can already eliminate two, one which is fatter and goes to the cigarette lighter, and one which is darker than the other two and goes to the interior light at the top of the driver's door (verified these with a continuity tester).

I am trying to read the diagram on p 97.64 of the Bentley. From what I assume is the top end of the S9 fuse, I see one wire coming off, the red-and-white one. Would the .5 red wire coming into the junction below that represent the wire that I cut? That wire goes to the radio if I understand the diagram correctly.

So, having eliminated those two mentioned above, there are two wires that are both the same thickness and color. One goes off toward the passenger side, running horizontally behind the steering column and into a black tube with one other wire (I think the other wire is brown) There is no radio in the car, so I can see that black tube through the "radio hole". I think it turns toward the front of the vehicle, but it was hard to see.

The other candidate for reconnection goes up into a thick bundle of wires directly over the fuse panel. There are so many together there it is hard to follow. It's right next to the cigarette lighter wire in this bundle.

Does anyone know which of these should be connected to the top of the S9 fuse?

Thanks in advance.

mike