Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Nov 2009 22:30:20 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: '85 Westy Wiring question about the S9 fuse
Comments: To: Mike South <msouth@gmail.com>

Hi Mike -- At 08:25 PM 11/8/2009, Mike South wrote: >in my car the connection at the top of fuse 9 has a red-white wire >and a red wire. My understanding is that what you're saying is that >the diagram doesn't show that, it perhaps is outdated or something >they did in my car was after that was printed or whatever.

Is it a doubled wire (i.e. two wires crimped into one terminal)? That would suggest, but not prove, it's a factory wire. Take a look at the 30 terminal of the flasher switch. If it *doesn't* have a doubled wire (r/w and r) then I'd be pretty sure that's the radio wire. If it does, then I'd suspect your red wire is an add-on by the DPO.

>Anyway, I agree that the way forward is to connect stuff up and see >what works or doesn't, it's just that, for example, many of the >interior lights have never worked so I'm not necessarily going to be >able to tell. It appears that neither of the wires I have hanging >loose actually appear on the diagram--I wasn't sure if I was just >reading it wrong, but what you describe makes me think there is just >a discrepancy.

Is there a radio? Did it work? Does it work now? Whether or not it does you can check continuity from your cut end to the radio power terminal. Also, if it's a factory wire you can guarantee that it's a feed of some kind, not a ground. So ohm it out to make sure it's not grounded, then put 12v on it and see if anything lights up/makes noise etc that didn't before.

All the interior lights except the map light (but including the Westy kitchen light) should be powered from a single 0.5 red coming from a second terminal at S8. I *believe* the map light is at track 70, fed by a 0.5 red doubled into the radio power lead at the four-terminal radio connector T4.

All of the dimmable panel lights are fed by gray/blue wires from S13 (tracks 44-50), and S13 itself is fed by a gy/bl wire from the dimmer rheostat on the headlight switch, tk 44. Note that the rheostat at a hasty glance appears to be fed by a 30 terminal on the switch; but that actually feeds the clock via a 0.5 red and the apparent connection is a result of an injudicious choice of spacing by the draftsman. The rheostat is fed by the internal connection going to the 58 terminal.

Yrs, D