Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Nov 2009 06:23:14 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cost to R&R seal between tranny/differential
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

If the seals between the diff and auto section are leaking there should be evidence of said leak by oil coming through the weep hole unless the wrong seals were installed and installed wrong. Depending on the gear oil used it is common for these differentials to cook the oil out due to heat and shear. Audi had a massive problem with this back in the late 80's and had a recall and upgraded to synthetic oil and added a sticker advising to check the diff oil every 30K.

I would suggest oil analysis to see if in fact you have cross contamination. The leak you described would also mean an overfilled auto section. I would also upgrade both fluids to a good synthetic. Make sure the breather vents are not covered/clogged with crud. Another source for internal leakage is the governor seal. This is an easy fix with the tranny still installed.

Dennis

I took the van (1984, AT) to a local VW mechanic, Steve's Place, here in Bend, Oregon, today to check into the "thunk" sound which I hear when I take my foot off the gas. Last week it was suggested here that I might check the motor and transmission mounts, CV joints, etc.

He poked and prodded and found nothing suspicious.

While he had it, I asked him to change the oil, check fluid levels.

Last year at this time he'd discovered that the differential was effectively dry inside. The 17mm allen bolt was completely crusted over. He suspected that it hadn't been checked in a long time. He topped it off and it seemed fine, and seems fine now.

But today, he took another look and found that the level had dropped some. There's no sign of a leak outside. He said that the transmission fluid (auto tranny) looked discolored and proposed that there could be a leak in the seal/gasket/whateveritis between the two.

A job like this is entirely outside my skills and tools and space to work in.

I asked him to quote cost to R&R and he said $350-$400.

Whatcha all think?

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Westrailia: (Ladybug Trailer company, San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) Bend, OR KG6RCR