Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:29:29 -0500
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Any Suggestions for 24-hour,
              straight through driving road trip??
Comments: To: kayakjr@comcast.net

I drove from Sydney Nebraska to Pittsburgh PA in one stretch (36hrs), alone, with two failing gears in my transmission. Mind you i'm young..... But here are my suggestions:

Bring plenty of music you haven't heard in a while. I intentionally had mixes and CD's from a while back. SING ALONG!!!! NO BOOKS ON TAPE, you'll fall asleep. Just eat and drink as you go along. Plenty of snacks and beverages, not necessarily with caffeine. Even water makes a difference. Just the physical act of eating or drinking and planning it out and looking forward to your next little bite can help. Stop for gas more often then you need to. The act of getting out and taking even just a few steps wakes you up and clears your mind. When you stop try to hold a 2-3 minute conversation with the gas station employee about something local. It gives you something fresh to think about when you're driving along and a fresh set of questions to think up for next time.

The best thing that happened to me to get me home safely was being bit by a spider (or something) on the foot while in Salt Lake City. My sandal strap went right over the bite. When i started falling asleep, i'd flex my foot and the searing pain would wake me right up : )

I don't believe in energy drinks.

-Craig '85GL turned WESTY BOSTIG in the back