Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Nov 2009 06:58:21 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: FRIDAY OT - Headlight aimage

Below is a link for almost everything you'd want to know about lighting. The link is for an aiming instructional, but clicking around on the site gives lots more info.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

I converted my 84 to the Hella H-4 E-code lights. A big improvment, even over the previous sealed beam halogen lights. One thing I've found, and it has been mentioned by others, too, is that there seems to be a design feature, when Hellas are used in our vans, anyhow, that leaves a sort-of gap in the way the lights can be adjusted. With repeated fine-tuning the aim of my Hellas I still have a kind of 'less bright' area that I can't seem to dial out between the high and low beams. I think this may be a function of the height that the Vanagon headlights are mounted above the road surface. Slightly too wide an angle between the high and low beam trajectory? When I aim the lights to have the high beam light 'perfect' I find the low beam setting puts the light a little too close in front of the van. If I aim for the most effective low beam light, the brights seem just slightly too high, too far up the road...they light up reflectors a mile+ ahead. The Hella H-4 E-codes are still a very good improvment but it does bug me to be unable (so far) to have them shine 'exactly perfect' like I know they should do. Don Hanson PS...My E-code lights do not bother oncoming traffic and cause any 'blipping' from approaching traffic unless I forget and leave on the brights. I find the feature that puts more light out the right side of the beams very helpful on winding mountain roads, too and also for deer detection ..