Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Nov 2009 10:15:28 -0800
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: A Current Question of humor

RE:

> So I reckon that if I find myself with a discharged starter battery and a > charged house battery and hope the start the engine I'll jump the two > batteries together with a jumper cable, sit and watch the hills for a few > minutes, then crank 'er over. >

In fact BTDT last January coming out of Borego Springs when the brushes in my alternator gave up the ghost. Even though it took a couple of minutes at the side of the I-8 freeway (had to move 'stuff' to get to the house battery under the rear bunk/seat and dig out the jumper cables from the back) with the jumper cables in place between the house and starter battery I started right back up and drove another 30+ miles to my brother in laws place in Chula Vista, put in the spare regulator/brush pack, and was back in business. Since then I've thought about doing what would be needed to just throw a switch to accomplish the same thing but given how often such a setup would be needed I think I'll keep it elegant and simple instead of complicated and wonderful. BTW, I use Anderson Powerpole connectors for anything that I wire up and needs to be able to be 'unwired' at some point. And they are also 'elegant and simple'. The big ones can handle most anything you'll ever be able to plug into them when dealing with a Vanagon and it's needs.