Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Nov 2009 17:43:53 -0800
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      another aero tail idea

now moderators, i ask forgiveness instead of permission for this has "conceptual" vanagon content :)

over the years we have all discussed, on list, the aero mods we would make to reduce or eliminate the big pocket of neg. pressure behind the van. The dramatic size of this "pocket" was demonstrated to me one day at a stop light when a very badly oil smoking vanagon sped by the intersection. The blue smoke was "trapped" in the low press. area outlining it perfectly. If I recall correctly its seemed to take up a space at least a third of the length of the van.

Little wings up top, bustles, side wings etc have all been talked about to reduce the neg press area and thus reduce overall drag. I think someone even suggested the idea that I just saw applied to semi trailers, see here;

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091105121037.htm

what I find interesting is that it is not a solid structure, but rather an open ended box. I wish some crazy list member with some coroplast (maybe even cobbled together election signs? Yes I am talking to you America) would make one for fun

In case any one wants to lecture me on aerodynamics... I have no formal training but I have made 2 high speed water tunnels, I do have some practical experience dicking around with fluid dynamics :)

cheers,

Alistair

'86 syncro 7 passenger '82 westy, diesel converted to gas in '94 http://www.members.shaw.ca/albell/