Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Nov 2009 09:19:46 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Inspections and traffic laws was Re: HIDs?
Comments: To: Janne Ruohomäki <janne.ruohomaki@GMAIL.COM>

At 03:41 AM 11/12/2009, Janne Ruohomäki wrote: >I think previously, before this E-approval thing, they used to be more >interested in the shape of the light pattern here. And they are still >if You have something wrong with it, but they cannot fail the >inspection just because the pattern if You have all the parts >E-approved and meant to be used with each other. They have a device >specifically for checking the lights here. And yes: the conversion to >HID without correct reflector would probably be noticed by experienced >inspector.

Whereas in all of the US-east coast states (Rhode Island '92-now, Massachusetts '79-'91, Maine '72-'78 and '80, Maryland '72, Florida '71-72) where I've had vehicles inspected, not inspector has ever even glanced at the headlights except to make sure they light up. I suppose if one of the cars had thrown a flapping bat symbol on the wall they might possibly have noticed...or not. Same with all other lights. I've never had an illegal driving or fog light installation but they never appeared to pay the slightest attention to the installations I did have. Rhode Island and New Hampshire care about holes in the sheet metal, Maine and Massachusetts don't. No inspector has ever lifted the hood (bonnet) or engine hatch.

Typical check is, lights, horn, wipers all light up, no cracks in windshield (windscreen) handbrake effectiveness in Maine, audible exhaust leaks (possibly at-a-glance visual inspection in Rhode Island and Massachusetts?), brake lining thickness, wiggle test on lifted front wheels to make sure the suspension is actually attached to the vehicle reasonably snugly. In Maine at least, if you have multiple-segment tail lights (think late-'70s Detroit iron) all the segments must light up. In Maine in the '70s you could have no more than 4 cm play at the steering wheel rim. (!)

For emissions, Massachusetts started using a tailpipe sniff test while I was there; Rhode Island already was when I came and a few years ago shifted to a dynamometer test; now on OBD-II vehicles they simply query the ECU. Rhode Island waives the fuel cap pressure test/gasket inspection for Vanagons, incidentally, which leads me to suspect that it's waived for all pre-OBD-II vehicles.

None of these states have had any official interest in non-obvious vehicle modifications like the TUV in Germany does -- I can't say for obvious ones, but in various places in New England there are some pickup/SUVs with wheels and tires that lift the chassis maybe as much as 40 cm (?) for flotation on marshy ground and I don't *think* there are any additional inspection or certification requirements. Likewise "hot rods" i.e. Model A or similar bodies with uncovered V8 engines and (I certainly hope!) modern suspensions. There *is* official concern about wheels that that protrude from the fender wells, but I'm not sure it's rigorously enforced -- undoubtedly some of the big-tire marsh rigs flunk this one.

Rhode Island (the state you can put in your pocket for later but the name will stick out -- its full name is "The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations") presently charges USD39 for a biennial safety/emissions inspection.

Motor vehicle regulations are largely left to individual states; however whenever the federal gov't feels strongly about an issue is simply threatens to withhold funding assistance for highways unless its desires are met. This is commonly how traffic laws are changed in Massachusetts, a curious example of New England cussedness. The three issues I'm aware of there over the last 40 years or so are passing (overtaking) on the off side, right-of-way at rotary/traffic circle entrances (where MA hung on to the physically ridiculous "entering has right-of-way" for probably twenty years after everyone else had seen the light; and right-turn against the lights unless otherwise posted, which happened while I was in state and was amazing. They finally gave in to the Fed at gun point and the absolute last minute -- and the weekend before the law went into effect they put up 100.000, that's one hundred thousand, no-turn-on-red signs. They gradually came down over the next ten years. On the traffic-circle issue they didn't bother to educate older drivers, so during an entire generation of drivers you had no freaking idea what anyone was going to do in a rotary. A law-abiding driver could easily get into a crossing collision leaving the rotary or a rear-ender entering. This faded as the new generation took over, in the late '80s.

Rhode Island, having only 1.2% the area of Finland, has the curious habit of putting warning signs when a multi-lane highway loses a lane -- exactly at the point where the lane goes away. Most other places give you a little more warning.

Finland has slightly more area than our eleven smallest states combined, BTW, and the entire country has 74 times the area of Finland. :)

Yours, David