Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:09:40 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: clutch...
Comments: To: Grungy <grungy@GRUNGY.COM>

The lever on the side of the transmission moves less than an inch (not much). It sounds more like the operating shaft for the throw out bearing has broken to me (BTDT). If you have never changed your hydraulics and want to try that out I would change both the clutch slave and master cylinder at the same time. If one goes the other is going to fail soon after (my experience and many customers calling me back a month later telling me I was right and they should have listened to my advice). We have both in stock ready to go if you need them quickly. I can also supply you with a new operating shaft if you find you need that.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Grungy wrote: > The clutch in my '90 had been spotty for quite a while, but Monday it > ceased to disengage, entirely. > It kicked me back a couple of times when shifting, just after > starting up and then it did nothing at all - always engaged. > > Managed to drive it to a FLAPS near where I was going by starting it > in gear at stop lights and slamming it through the gears. > > Bought a hand vacuum pump thingy at the FLAPS and proceeded to bleed > the slave cylinder. > Lots of dirty fluid and bubbles. But it could be sucking air around > the seal, which is designed to prevent flow the other way. > > Managed to drive it the 1 mile to home from the FLAPS and there had a > daughter to push on the pedal while I watched the external clutch > lever on the tranny. It moves. > > This is a relatively recent clutch, in terms of miles, but not years. > > Not sure how far the arm is supposed to move - anyone know? > The pedal feels like it's doing nothing. > > As I see it, it could be not moving far enough, the throwout bearing > fork could be broken somehow or the spring-loaded pressure thing that > the throwout bearing pushes on could be dead. That last I've never > seen before. What say you? > > I'd rather change out hydraulics than the clutch itself, just cuz > it's less work. > So far, all I've done is bid on a Carat on eBay. > > -- > > bcnu - Grungy (Baytown, TX) opinions are just that.obviously. > 60 dddPanel 69 Bug 90 Vanagon 04 Jetta TDI 05 Jetta Wagon TDI 06 Camry > Hybrid > g r u n g y AT g r u n g y DOT c o m >