Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Nov 2009 16:51:59 -0800
From:         Peter DiFalco <peter.difalco@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '91 7-passenger Vanagon FS in Cedar Springs, MI

Mouse nest ? Wear your N95 or better mask, watch out for the Hanta virus when you clean that up, it's a haz mat situation. Congrats!

-Peter

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Larry Alofs <lalofs@gmail.com> wrote: > Well, I went and bought it today.  Just got it back here to the > Holland, MI area about 30 min ago.  We are in the process of moving > from Chicago to MI and I saw the first post about this van shortly > before we left from Chicago yesterday with a vanagon full of stuff. > Thank you George. > > After talking to Jack last nite, we went to look at it about noon > today.  It was about an hour away from here, well off the beaten path, > north of Grand Rapids.  It is indeed rust free and dent free.  Crack > in the top of the front bumper.  Two center caps missing off the > alloys.  Two short cracks in lower corner of windshield. >  It started right up; Jack had apparently done something to the fuel > pump since Roger looked at it.  It started, but it was very uncertain > if it would idle and keep running and the exhaust is very loud.  The > idle got a little better as it warmed up and I was able to test drive > it a few miles, but one or two cylinders seemed to be very > intermittent.  Steering and suspension seemed firm and tight and the > AT seemed strong and smooth.  They said it was "new". >   Jack said that sometimes it just quits when being driven.  Someone > told him that something was bad in the distributor, but he seemed > rather unclear as to what part was at fault. >  The interior is rather shabby with dirt and a split seat and various > tears in door panels etc. > The power locks and PS window don't work and nothing happened when I > tried to turn on the AC.  The worst part is that it smells like there > is a mouse nest in the front heater. >   So, this is definitely going to be a project, but a body this nice > is hard to find in this part of the country, and I can store it at my > brother's place nearby until I get time to work on it.  I already have > an 83 1/2 Westy project stashed there.  :-) >  My regular workhorse '91 GL with Subie 2.2 also needs a little work. > So many vanagons, but so little time.... > > Larry A. > > > > > On 11/18/09, Roger VanTill <motelvw@gmail.com> wrote: >> Went and looked at the van today. It needs some work. The body is rust free. >> The fuel pump wasn't working when we tried to start it. Felt like it was >> trying, but binding. Says he had the tranny rebuilt by some small town local >> part time mechanic. It would probably clean up and run, but my guess is you >> would sink some cash into it to get it to daily driver mode. Oh well. >> >> Talked to the owner for a while. Blew him away that some guy from Colorado >> called him. Explained what the Vanagon list was. He got a kick out of that. >> >> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 6:07 AM, Roger VanTill <motelvw@gmail.com> wrote: >> >>> Should I go look at this for you, Jeff? I could end up getting Mary an >>> early Christmas present. >>> >>> >>> >>> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:57 PM, Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@gmail.com> wrote: >>> >>>> Wow, a call out on the list - I have arrived :) >>>> >>>> Jake - This is about 2 1/2 to 3 hours away from me. However, it is right >>>> near the heart of the Buses by the Beach activity and there are several >>>> Vanagon savy people within close range of this one. >>>> >>>> If this is even close to as good as the guy explained to Miguel it could >>>> be >>>> a real find! I wish I hadn't just dumped close to the asking price into >>>> replacing the engine in Grover because if I hadn't I'd jump on this one - >>>> hmmmmm Maybe I still can :) >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:05 PM, Jake de Villiers < >>>> crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com> wrote: >>>> >>>> > Paging Jeff Lincoln! >>>> > >>>> > >>>> > >>>> > >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> -- >>>> Thanks, >>>> >>>> Jeff >>>> '90 Carat (Grover) >>>> '86 (We call this one Parts) >>>> '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus >>>> >>> >>> >> >