Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:16:35 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <goose1047@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heart vs. Head

> The driveshaft that > Scott speaks of drives all the extra crap that modern vehicles come > with..Except in the Toyotas, it seems to keep working...according to all the > listings I see..

They have a driveshaft running forward from the crakn via a rubber cushdrive. This cushdrive IS a problem spot in that they do fail 9though not often) and ara expensive (laborwise) to replace.

> Toyota stopped making them around 95

Wrong... the first generation was made until the beginning of 2000, when a new model came out (not sold in USA). The current generation is the third. I can't understand why they make a very similar but different car in USA, the Sienna, but with an oddball 3.4 V6.

>  The motor is mid mounted and they are RWD, which makes for supposed great > handling.

Only the earliest ones (1990) were good-handling, after which Toyota dropped the IRS and the vehicles became gross understeerers, especially in the wet with cheap tires like Firestones (I have slid right past intersections in the wet in my wife's 5-speed 1992 2.2 turbodiesel, wheels on lock and just washing-out; my wife also has a diesel auto 97; both are narrow-bodied versions).

The diesels don't get very good economy and the 2WD gas ones are noted as guzzlers. A 4WD will be worse.

Don't get me wrong, they are great vehicles, and very rigid in the body. But the door openings are too low for loading large items, so they make rather poor vans (there is one around town being used as a tradesman's van... probably a plumber or electrician). They are one of my favorite vehicles, and still look ultramodern. They'd make a great project vehicle; I've seen a couple that were lowered, with big alloys and bodykits, and they looked great. Engine swaps would be good, but difficult, due to the laid-down (12 degrees, I think) engine position... Subaru 3.3 with modified inlet?

-- Regards Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator Mollusc, Toyota & VW van fan