Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Nov 2009 11:54:33 -0800
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Empty yards

There is an ebb and flow to Vanagons at those yards. It is true that a couple years ago they would often have a dozen or more between them at any given time. Right now is a very strange time at those yards because of the Cash For Clunker program. After the huge glut of C4C cars works its way through we will see what happens. Used Vanagons are up in value, believe it or not. With Samba and Craigslist people sell them for real cash rather than give them up cheap to the channels that send the to the junkyards. I still see lots of Vanagons driving around so I know that fewer in the yards means more people fixing them instead of junking them. We saw about 20 this morning when we were out for a few hours and I'm not counting any of mine. There were 5 camped separately at the State Beach Campground and a bunch more spread along surfer's row north of there. The neighborhood we cut through getting home has them on nearly every block, most at the same houses for many years.

Mark SoCal

Mark Hineline wrote: > I just went down to Chula Vista, CA, and found four Vanagons in the > all-European yard, none in the other two yards. What a difference a > few years makes. Two of the four were campers, but there were no > camper pieces left in them, except for one poptop (but not the luggage > part). > > These were once fairly dependable yards for getting bus and Vanagon > parts. I'm worried. > > Mark Hineline >