Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:27:29 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Heart vs. Head
Comments: To: Mark Hineline <hineline@HELIX.UCSD.EDU>

Vanagons are slow pulling long grades. Amazingly so. And, you likely will be driving at high summer temps. You may be concerned about the "overheating" that you may experience. Learn ahead of time about cooling system performance. The book says that "normal" is for the temp needle to be from the middle mark, up to but not above the next mark. Above that is overheated. Well, some vans reach that mark when on long grades at summer temps. You may have to pull over and let it rest a bit. Just be aware, watch it, and make sure ahead of time that all cooling system components are in order. For a van new to you, unless the previous owner can show recent evidence of this work being done, I'd put on new belts and hoses, make and get a competent mechanic (whether that is yourself or a professional) to pass review on cooling system performance.

If the slow lane isn't for you, don't drive a vanagon, especially not a camper.

David McNeely