Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:02:39 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday bird AKICIV (All Knowledge is Contained in Vandom)

Many years ago, I worked at a summer camp in WV. On one of our "survey" missions, I discovered an interesting salamander and brought it back for identification purposes. When we identified it as a Four Toed Salamander the local herpetologist was surprised, as we were in the wrong habitat for that species. He did, however, confirm our identification. And he accompanied me back to where I had collected it when we returned it. And reemphasized that it shouldn't have been there "by the book".

The Mid-Atlantic region of the US has more salamander species than just about any other place in the world (and a new species was found down Atlanta way earlier this year.)

Just goes to show that even in the US and in urban settings, that wildlife can surprise the experts.