Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Nov 2009 13:30:47 -0000
From:         Arkady Mirvis <arkadymirvis@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      lonely in Portugal

Hello, listees, For 2.5 years, since I moved from USA to Portugal, I've seen only 2 Westy's: one was from Spain and the other from Germany. My, 1987 Westy (brought from USA, odometer reading 52 k miles), once I stop attracts many on-lookers. In Portugal the year the vehicle was made is on licence plates and people usually wander seeing the condition of my Westy. What really unusual to them is that it has gasoline motor. In this country over 90% of vehicles are diesels, even some with single cylinder 600 cc motors. O, I wish my Westy was diesel. Gasoline 95 octane goes here for US$8.40 per gallon, and diesel for US$6.30. My Westy goes up to 23 MPG. With diesel, I suppose, my driving would have been much cheaper. Owning Westy in this small country, filled with great natural beauty, with best climate in Europe, having lots of historic sites (Portugal has over 110 castles!) offers many opportunities. Savings on accommodation covers many times the fuel expences. Campsites are great and one speaking English will find there many Europeans to start the conversation with. But..................here is the bad part. No Westy club. I simply didn't find yet one. In my years in USA I participated in many shows, aquired many friends. Dannis Haynes is one of them. As a heater expert I served hundreds of VW vans and Westy's owners. Some are still contacting me for advice. I read posted info with great interest and find the listees very helpful. With wishes of great travels and joy,

Ark Mirvis