Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Nov 2009 11:50:59 -0500
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      '90 Carat (Grover) engine transplant - Final chapter

Welll, I have a few very small (and hopefully minor) things to iron out but I think I can successfully close the book on this little story.

I spent yesterday tidying up all the wiring in the engine bay and making sure everything was neatly tucked, zipped, or somehow secured. I also installed the Go Westy brass fittings on the plastic coolant pipes (fronts only) the ends had split and were causing a leak. Messy job but a good fix.

So in the end here is everything in a list:

*Installed "new" known good 2.1 engine that sat for a while but had fairly low miles on a partial rebuild. *All new fuel lines and hose clamps *replaced oil sensors *replaced coolant pipe from pump to t-stat housing *new t-stat housing *new t-stat *new Temp and Temp II sensors *Replaced oil cooler O ring *Replaced screen, filter, and pan seal on trans *All new botls at engine and trans mounts *Relaced Distributor with a known good (one that was there had a broken wire connection on the Hall Sensor) *New plugs, wires, cap, rotor *Cleaned all grounds *Replace ground "strap" from body to engine *Repaired multiple wiring connections (adding new ones where necessary) *Re-greased the CV joints *New Accelerator cable *New Coolant manifold *new hose from PS head to coolant manifold *New oil breather hose * "New" complete S&S exhaust (I got it for a steal) *Added an O2 sensor (i never had one because of the old "custom" exhaust. *Repaired leaking plastic coolant pipes in the front *Cleaned and painted many parts in the process (although not as meticulously as I would have liked to because I needed to get the van back on the road). *Ran for 300 miles - changed oil and filter (adding some Marvel Mystery Oil this time).

I think that covers it. I'm happy to be driving good ole Grover again. I'm still hyper vigilant and a bit uneasy about the new engine - I'm sure it's fine but that overheating of the old engine was traumatic, costly, and a long road to fix.

Thanks again to everyone on the list for your help and advice - thanks also to Larry Chase, Pete O, Scott Hengert, Roger VanTill, Benny Boy, Billy Hirt, Brien Dews, Bus Depot, Vanagain, Go Westy, Frank Condelli, Greg Potts and anyone I happened to miss.

OK, I'm going to go for a ride :) Happy Sunday everyone!

-- Thanks,

Jeff '90 Carat (Grover) '86 (We call this one Parts) '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus