Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:30:45 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pricing of Used Westies (was: ... Yahoo! Autos)
Comments: To: Steve Williams <sbw@sbw.org>

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 7:52 AM, Steve Williams <sbw@sbw.org> wrote:

> At 09:13 PM 11/24/2009, Roger Whittaker wrote: > >> it amazes me when someone wants to sell a vanagon everyone is shocked at >> the >> price ... yet when someone smashes a vehicle ... damn the insurance >> co and their paltry offer of 4K$ dont they know i have at least 25K$ >> into this rig !!!! >> > > I agree. I paid $2,000 for my '84 Westy and then put close to $20K > into it since, to make it reliable, useful, and comfortable. And I > haven't even done any cosmetic work yet! > > Now, I would never consider paying that much to purchase a vehicle, > because: > > - The seller will always have different priorities from mine. > > - There's no way to verify the quality of the work the seller > claims has been done. > > I think there are two kinds of happy Westy owners: Those like me, who > can take the time to learn and plan the work needed, and maybe do it > themselves. And those who need a restored and upgraded Westy > delivered to their door. > > Each will spend a similar amount of money. I would argue that owners > like me are less likely to be disappointed, because we get exactly > what we want, not what somebody else thought would sell. > I think you are wrong about 'spending a similar amount of money' to buy a professionally restored Vanagon as opposed to doing the work for your own restoration.

A company like Go Westie charges a big big hourly rate for all their workmen to spend time on the van. Big, like in the $80--$120/hr range, per man hour. Hence these $60k restored synro westies like Hanks bought from them. Or buying a van and taking it in for a professional refreshment job and getting it back with a $20-30k bill for the restoration.. If I spent $60k on restoring a syncro for my own use, it'd certainly be a lot more than a 'stock as new restoration'...Because I don't have to pay myself or any big overhead..no taxes, no payroll, just my parts and materials costs..

But some van-fans have plenty of money to spend having others do that kind of work and to many, even $100k is 'chump change' to them...so companies like Go Westie have a customer base and continue to stay in business.. Don Hanson