Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:57:08 -0800
From:         Al Knoll <anasasi@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Syncro Starter R&R on vacation? A Poll
Comments: To: Brendan Slevin <totorovan@gmail.com>

If it is a standard Bosch starter, you can do a bit of a check by having someone attempt to start while you listen intently. You should hear a click when the starter relay (often called a solenoid) closes. If no, click, then likely it's elsewhere. If you remove the lower cover on the steering assembly. Two recessed posi/phillips screws you will be able to see the backside of the ignition switch assembly. Two fat wires (red black) I think carry the starter engagement current back to the starter. Check that when you try to start, the voltage on the outgoing wire goes to 12V or so. If not, using jumper wire (unfolded metal paperclip) you can jump the two together momentarily. The clip will get pretty warm pretty fast so be advised. Now if the starter spins it's in the switch.

You get the drift on troubleshooting the system one link at a time. Use the bently current diagram for your particular year of van.

If you have a voltmeter, you can measure voltages along the path. If you have a remote starter switch you can hook it up directly to the starter and apply 12V directly to the 'solenoid'.

Stuff to carry if you don't already. A digital voltmeter or and analog (d'arsonval) VOM. Jumpers with alligator clips (insulated), 12 test light, Lots of extra fuses, and Sir Bently, I carry a remote starter switch for various applications.

As a last resort, you could use the rock and stick method. Slip a stout cudgel down beside the motor so it rests on the starter housing. Deal a smart thwack using a rock of your choice, then attempt the start again.

If you have a security sytem that disables the starter, it likely has a relay and these do fail in odd and mysteriously random ways. Find that relay, likely under the dash where the fat red/blacks are and note pins in and pins out through which the red/black starter current flows. Jumper that relay. Then retry.

NB. most of this can be done without immersing your holiday finery in the mud and slush under the van in perhaps an unneccesary attempt to replace the starter.