Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Nov 2009 16:56:05 -0800
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: good finds at wreckers

> Don't forget the 99 relay, which gives you a delay option for your > wipers- goes something like 2 seconds up to 20 seconds. Swaps with > the 19 relay. >

I was at the local pick a part today. I go about once a year. Very disappointing. There's almost never any Vanagons, but there's normally at least a dozen similar-vintage VWs to pick at. This time, there were only FOUR Volkswagens total, and they'd been stripped down to almost nothing. I did find a 99 relay while sifting through the detritus left on the floor of one car, though. Nothing else good.

If you drive a Volvo though.... there were at least 70 of them there, all late 80's/early 90's, all with their engines sprayed with orange spraypaint: cash for clunkers turn-ins. According to the guy I talked to there who was looking for BMW parts (few of those either) the stupid Cash FOr Clunkers program has pushed out all the "decent" cars because the junkyards apparently have to crush them within a certain time frame. I guess the Volvo 240's got traded in a lot, and the BMWs and VWs not so much. 240s must be gas hogs in their old age.

Maybe once the C4C crap is over with we'll start seeing more "good" cars.

-- John Bange