Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Nov 2009 18:51:18 -0800
From:         Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heart vs. Head
Comments: To: Mark Hineline <hineline@helix.ucsd.edu>

I dunno if anybody answered you specifically, but I just did this drive. From Kingman to Flagstaff it took us maybe an extra half-hour of driving time over the rental sedan we used for the trip last time (this is in an '87 GL auto). Speed dropped down to @ 50 in third maybe three or four times in the first hour or so out of Kingman, and I had to downshift to 2nd (to maintain 45) I think twice for short periods. The real slow stretch was between Ash Fork and Flagstaff; I stayed in the low 50s for most of that and had to downshift to 2nd for a few extended periods, including one longer stretch of more than 10 minutes. Fortunately the road opened to three lanes right at that point so we could move around the trucks without blocking traffic. I never had any heating issues (this was in the afternoon and the temps were dropping quite a bit), but I did feel like the van was working harder at the higher elevations.

The trip from our place to Laughlin takes slightly longer than it does in other vehicles, but for the entire trip from Ridgecrest to where my Dad lives in AZ we allowed maybe an extra hour, and that's about how it worked out. I'd say my average cruising speed on more level ground was @ 68. I don't feel any pain from the difference.

Cya, Robert