Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Nov 2009 09:07:44 -0800
From:         Marc Sayer <marcsayer@HUGHES.NET>
Subject:      Re: vanagon speed

Don Hanson wrote: > Vanagons are not slow....(except maybe a 1.6 diesel Westie is actually) > Amen. I hear about how slow and underpowered Vanagons are all the time. Now admittedly, I own an 86 4spd with the 2.1 and it isn't a camper, so mine is not one of the slower Vanagons. But I manage to keep up with traffic, no problem. Now my 64 40 hp Type 2, that was slow, really really slow. Fastest thing in town from a stop light, at least for halfway across the intersection, but after that, well we generally were safe from being passed by pedestrians and bicyclists, but not always. Even when I replaced the 40 hp with a dual port 1600 the 64 was still slow. It could go damn near anywhere (we often passed 4WDs of the day that were stuck) but it did so at a leisurely pace. The day I got my 86 and drove it home from the Bay area up to Eugene, I spent a good portion of the trip grinning as I zipped right along with the rest of the traffic.I had been remembering my 64 when I went to get the 86, and I was prepared for a long, slow trek home. The Vanagon really surprised me. I decided then and there that the folks that complain about how slow the Vanagons are, are just spoiled. Let em spend a week in a stock Splitie, then talk to me about how slow a Vanagon is. Heck my 1980 Chevy LUV 4x4 is slower than my Vanagon, as was my 84 Isuzu Trooper. So is my 61 Dodge 1 ton flatbed dually. Despite having a 318 V8 in it. V8 + low gears + 3 spd automatic = lots of hauling and pulling capacity + lousy gas mileage. The bottom line is the Vanagon does what it does pretty darn well. It is a really good compromise vehicle that hit all it's target criteria pretty well. And there is just something about tooling along on top of the front wheels, sitting so upright, with that big wide expanse of dash and windshield right there in front of you, that feels right and makes the mind settle down and enjoy life.

--

Marc Sayer Journalist, Photographer, Dog Trainer (APDT member #062956) Board member - Western States Great Dane Rescue Association Director of Operations & Training - Deaf Dane Rescue Inc. Oakridge, OR USA

My Homepage - http://gracieland.org Deaf Dane Rescue - http://deafdane.org Western States Great Dane Rescue Association - http://wsgdra.org RescueWatchdogs - http://rescuewatchdogs.org Association of Pet Dog Trainers - http://APDT.com