Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:27:59 -0500
From:         Dave Creasy <mkcdc@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Thoughts on Travelling w/ 4 year old
Comments: To: Bill Shawley <easywind1975@HOTMAIL.COM>

Besides small toys (which take time to get out of packages) held in reserve dished out slowly (remember your trip is to get home in peace also), we found magnetic tinker toys which you put together and build whatever can hang from the metal strip overhead in the back lasted a long time in interest. We also got a converter plug you plug into your cigarette lighter (we installed one in the back by the side table) so we could plug in a small T.V. and an DVD player. That consumed 2 or 3 movie lengths. Remember not to run the DVD player too long when the engine is off. Little kids have all kind of DVD's appropriate to keep them interested. Magnetic stuffed animals can be fun also. My daughter liked to stick them someplace different and whoever stumbled on it first would win. I have also stocked the car with individual packs of candy they never usually get. It's an adventure, live large! Little packs of pudding, juice boxes anything they would like they don't usually get. I'm not a big prepackaged consumer on the everyday so my kids thought is was great when they got all that stuff. Reading in the car can have bad results so games which make the kids look out the window are important to know when they start getting sick from coloring or looking down too long. We also had this game of whoever saw the first white horse was a winner of whatever you want to make it. Anything will not last long for some kids, other kids can stay entertained with nothing forever. Don't forget the little potty and plastic bag inserts so cleanups are easy. New handheld games which don't come in the house so the interest stays in the car. If you dish these interests out slowly and only when they get bored the trip will be much more enjoyable for all. Make sure they don't know what you have or where so it is always a surprise. You can also wrap them up individually which will consume their time. Have a great time. All my children's friends are in ah when they see the great ride we have. Mary Creasy ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Shawley" <easywind1975@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2009 8:36 PM Subject: Thoughts on Travelling w/ 4 year old

So here's the deal, I've had my 86 Westy for 3 1/2 years now. I don't put many miles on it, it gets alot of use hauling lumber and other crap from Lowes. Each summer we take it locally to camp and what not on weekends that we have nothing planned. I've never taken it more than 5 or 6 hours away.

Well I gotta bug up my butt to go see the Wanee Festival ( http://www.waneefestival.com/ ) in Florida this spring. Take a week or so to take our time driving back and see some friends in the Carolinas. It is a 15 hours straight drive and I know that is out of the question with a 4 year old, we'd break it up in two chunks, use a motel on the ride down. We've gone to North Carolina once with our daughter when she was two and she did great, we did it in a comfy 80 mph crusin' Passat. Oh yeah we live in western Pennsylvania.

So here are my concerns;

Will travelling this distance with a 4 year old be more of a pain than it is fun?

I'm not worried about the festival she loves that stuff.

I'm concerned about taking the van that far away, I maintain it pretty good and it has never let me down but that is a haul. I'd probably get someone to check it out for me and of course pay for the Premium AAA. My other option is to take on of the cars and pack a tent and all that crap, hope for no rain.

I'd just like to hear some varying perspectives on this before I reach a decision.

Ryan

_________________________________________________________________ Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/