Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:39:03 +0000
From:         Bill Shawley <easywind1975@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thoughts on Travelling w/ 4 year old
Comments: To: sbw@sbw.org

Yeah I forgot about that, I actually put a shoulder restraint in on the passengers side when I first got it for my niece. I've thought about doing the other side but cutting into the closet and all isn't up my alley.

Ryan > Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 06:41:38 -0800 > From: sbw@SBW.ORG > Subject: Re: Thoughts on Travelling w/ 4 year old > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > I don't want to be a killjoy, and certainly I spent many happy hours > in the way-back of a Beetle as a toddler, traveling across the > country with my parents. Heck, when I was 10, my Mom drove a > squareback VW from California to Iowa with three kids and a weeks-old > baby in a bassinet balanced on the back seat. > > But those VWs also had no seat belts in the back seats, and attitudes > about child car safety have changed. > > In California, at least, children under 6 must be in an approved car > seat or booster seat unless they've grown to 60 pounds. I doubt a > booster seat can be used properly without a shoulder harness, and I > don't know whether the Vanagon's rear lap belts can properly secure a > modern car seat. > > The laws may grandfather vehicles that lack the necessary > equipment. I know I wouldn't worry about being ticketed for carrying > passengers in the rear seat of my '67 Beetle with no seat belts. > > But I wouldn't let a 4-year-old sleep unrestrained in the back of a > Vanagon or ramble around on the floor. And I certainly wouldn't put > a child in the front passenger seat. I'd want to do some research > into the safest way to restrain a child when only lap belts are available. > > Sorry to be a downer. _________________________________________________________________ Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection. http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/ http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/