Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:35:16 -0800
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: knocking noise on acceleration
Comments: To: Jarrett Anthony Kupcinski <kupcinski@GMAIL.COM>

Yeah,  I too had the click-click-click turning into KNOCK-KNOCK-KNOCK quickly.  Was the CV Joints.  My personal experience says with no servicing, they go out at about 90,000 miles like clockwork.  I recommend the GoWesty rebuilt axles:  http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4484&category_id=&category_parent_id=  These are rebuilt Lobro German CV Joints, complete axle for $99.95; the new ones they sell are Chinese ($149.95) according to Taylor at GW, but the German quality is better according to him.  I also recommend upgrading to the "triple-square" bolts instead of reusing the 6-point Allen bolt, but your 89 might already have the triple-squares.  GoWesty sells the tool, too.  Might as well spring for the new lockwashers, too.

One thing....when I got my axles (I replaced both sides, which are the same on a manual transmission) I noticed the CV's were packed with grease, but not as much as I'd like.  Called GoWesty--they confirmed, and recommended buying a tube or two of CV grease, and glopping and working it into the outside of the joints (apparently they are wiped clean so when they ship the axles you don't receive a greasy mess).  Bought a tube at Kragen for $5.

The axle replacement went off without a hitch--the biggest effort for me was to jack up and raise the vehicle on jack stands.  My jack doesn't have much vertical travel (a cheapo), so had to balance it on some 2"x6" boards and jack one side at a time.  Otherwise, not a bad job, just time-consuming.  Also, I'm going to use the "rotation" method suggested by VanCafe about every 30,000 miles so as to change the wear pattern--see their website for a writeup.

Rich 85 Vanagon, Manual, 180,000 miles San Diego