Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Nov 2009 22:10:38 -0500
From:         Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: oil buzzer buzzing all the time
Comments: To: Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>

It's a common problem, searching the archives should turn up many discussions.

The alarm is the warning that you have insufficient pressure above 2000 RPM. Low pressure at idle would illuminate the warning lamp but not sound the buzzer.

The causes can be many, including an oil weight that is too light, a bad sender, incorrect oil filter, oil level too high (which can cause foaming and loss of oil pump suction).

To rule out an actual pressure problem, the mechanic should check the oil pressure with a test gauge. If it's OK, you can start to divide and conquer on the other possibilities.

Allan

Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU> writes:

> Hi folks, > > Matilda's got a new trick. Every time I start to drive, the oil buzzer (the > one that lights up the little picture of an oil can) takes to buzzing. Oil > level is fine, coolant is fine, there's no apparent problem. It doesn't > happen if I sit with the van idling, but as soon as I start to drive (within > max 30 seconds) the buzzer lets out a squawk. If I turn off the engine and > turn it on again, I get maybe another 30 seconds of quiet, then it starts > again. > > This just started today, and actually I drove her directly to my friend's > mechanic (who has succeeded in fixing other troubles in the past - no real > vanagon mechanics less than 100-or-so miles from here). We figured it's > something about the oil pressure switch or associated wires - he's going to > do some searching and get back to me. > > But I'm wondering if others have had this happen, and if you've got > suggestions. > > > > > Joy >

-- 1991 Vanagon GL