Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Nov 2009 21:39:22 -0600
From:         Andrew Philbrick <herrschildkrote@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Any experience with this part?
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>

I do have one of these installed in my van. I drive an '86 Westy and last spring my water pump went out as I was going highway speeds. Since the coolant was still hot, it cracked a hole in my plastic coolant distributor. Long story short, I decided to get the stainless steel distributor and have been happy with it. Since the install, my van has traveled 8000 miles with no coolant issues.

My only complaint is that not all of the connections are flared as they are in the plastic version so some hoses are held on by the hose clamp strength only. I also suggest you seal the threads with a sealant. Since I have a manual trans, I use the stopper plug on the bottom middle spot (in the photo). I installed it without sealant (not knowing what I was thinking) and have noticed a small amount of weeping from that spot I'll have to correct when I remove the engine this winter.

I also suggest getting new rubber hoses if you can afford it. When I replaced mine, there were a lot of worn out rubbers under the van.

I think it is an awesome part and I am thrilled that our wonderful vendors are providing solid metal replacements of the Vanagon's plastic coolant parts. A few weeks ago, someone shared a link of aluminum thermo housings so if that fails, I'll be replacing it with the metal version.

Andrew