Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:28:23 -0500
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Oil Drain plug is stripped

OK, gang when I changed the oil in Grover 2 weeks ago some of the threads from the drain plug came out with the bolt. I know this isn't uncommon with aluminum.

Anyhow, I thought I'd be alright because I was able to get the drain bolt snug - but I was wrong and it was leaking. So when I redrained the oil to take a look at what exactly the situation was. Well, then I couldn't get the plug snug because more threads came out. So I tried the longer drain plug my local mechanic had given me (that worked on the old engine) - same problem - so then I tried the spark plug trick (that worked on the old engine too) - nope won't work.

So I've read the archives and the Samba forums and decided to purchase a self tapping 1/2" Double oversized piggy back drain plug - those seem to have worked for many others in these situations. I'd really rather not have to go heli-coil or timesert if I can avoid it.

So I still have a couple of questions

1. Should I run an engine flush or something similar through it to be sure there aren't threads up in the oil sump? 2. Should I use some sort of sealant on this self tapping plug when I put it in? 3. Any reasons I should avaoid the self taping plug? 4. I know the stock plug is 13mm - is this 1/2" one going to work? - it's the only size I could find.

OK, I appreciate your advice and knowledge ahead of time. Hopefully I'll get a good cross section of opinion before I get home and try this.

-- Thanks,

Jeff '90 Carat (Grover) '86 (We call this one Parts) '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus