Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Dec 2009 12:56:59 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: need advice on charging light coming on in my 90 Vanagon GL
Comments: To: Mtbdavid2@AOL.COM

At 02:12 AM 12/2/2009, David Cohen wrote: > During the tail end of a 6 hour trip back from Turkey Day and family >bonding, my charging light came on. I recently had a pretty large car stereo >amplifier and high power car stereo installed. I also purchased a black and >decker can cooler than plugs into the lighter socket. So, I had my car >stereo running, the can cooler and cell phone plugged in to the lighter >socket and drove this way for about 5 and half hours and then >my charging light >came on. The can cooler has a auto shutoff when sensing a low battery >charge. The can cooler shut down at the same time the dash >charging light came >on. Oh, I also had turned on the headlights for the last 2 hours of the >drive home.

Headlights ten amps low, ~twenty high; double that if you've got funny bulbs installed. Running lights ~3 amps, maybe six if you have funny bulbs in the taillights. Heater fan, twelve amps on high speed. Can cooler four and a half amps. Cell phone an amp or less. Stereo anywhere from five amps to infinite, depending how ridiculous you've gotten and how loud you play it. Engine/ECU/fuel pump under 25 amps, probably under 15.

So conservatively you're drawing 30-35 amps going down the road. Add wipers, rear defrost and heater fan, 45-close to 60 depending on blower speed.

If your stereo averages more than 20 amps you've probably gotten beyond what's reasonable to expect from a 90A cold-rated alternator, which I'm guessing at around 80 amps.

13.5 v at the battery isn't a very good charging voltage, shame on VW for not using a sense wire to read voltage at the battery instead of inside the alternator -- BUT that has little to do with your present problem except that the battery likely wasn't at full charge to begin with.

Slipping belt not unlikely but you ought to hear it, it sounds like a soul in pain.

Go thou to an auto-electrics shop and find out what you're drawing with everything going full blast. At that point you'll know whether the alternator is dogging the job or pulling its little heart out -- I suspect the latter.

This is a common problem with ambulances and police cars, by the way.

Yours, David