Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Dec 2009 00:27:31 -0800
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday NVC: help making a website with Apple?
Comments: To: Jeff Palmer <jpalmer@mts.net>

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Jeff Palmer <jpalmer@mts.net> wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I need to make a website.  I've never made a website before!  I understand iWeb is the program to use on my Mac.  Can anyone offer any advice or suggestions?  Is this the right program to use for the job? > > Thanks for the Friday indulgence! > > Jeff > 85 Westfalia

I'm not quite under the wire time wise on this, and apologies for a long winded answer but.....

I used iWeb for initial incarnations of my Vanagon website. It looked real nice, worked fine, and was easy to use. But.....

Lo and Behold, upon the next release of iWeb (or close to that date) upon trying to upload new files to my website, uploads would not complete. I suspect this was Apples way of making me buy a newer version of iLife (which includes iWeb IIRC). To this I answered in the expletive and said "no" to buying a bunch of iLife crap just for iWeb. (rant rant rant ;)

IIRC, it was this list that pointed me to googlepages. After this discovery, I went and started a googlepages website. It was free and if I kept my image file size low, worked fine for simple text and images. Googlepages has now been superseded by a newer version. Neither one was uber user friendly, the latter possibly less so, but can be made to work with some reading.

https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=jotspot

If you only need to publish a simple website with pics/text, this type of free webhosting/web publishing software works fine. For Mac or PC computer, it is not OS dependent AFAIK.

If you're looking for a Mac web design/publishing application that can work offline, and is easy to use, iWeb *should be* just fine. But for my needs, I found it bloated, and the conspiracy theorist led me to the aforementioned conclusion.

Also, in terms of actual web hosting, check with your ISP. You may already have some free webspace available. i.e. my ISP, Shaw, has "free" space that comes with monthly fee. I'm finding that for pics/text, googlesites is fine. For any small videos, I upload them to my ISP free space, then if need be, link from my googlesite to my ISP site. Oh ya. Check out picasaweb too. Lots of free space for images.

Neil. -- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines