Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Dec 2009 19:31:34 -0500
From:         Mark <mbrush@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: E-brake upgrade..works great.
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

ooh - I have a similar issue! I just replaced my gas tank - got her all in and snug - no leaks - but I had a nagging question. My brother and I didn't thread the crossover tube OVER the e-brake cable. We put it under the cable. So I later discovered that the cable rubs the crossover tube, which will likely lead to a leak sooner or later.

I really don't want to drop the gas tank again (it was a pain to get it right). I want to put a plastic sleeve on the cable so it doesn't rub a hole in the tube. My question - can I access that part of the cable from the INSIDE of the van? Take the cable off the lever - pull out the boot that travels under the van - slip the plastic sleeve onto the cable - reinstall the boot and then reattach the cable to the lever. That's my plan - don't know if it's possible or not.

Anyone taken this apart to know?

Mark

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just replaced my 84's old style ebrake handle with a newer type, as was > suggested as an 'upgrade' somewhere . A very good upgrade, indeed! The > old > style is pretty flimsey, looks like it may have come out of the VW beetle > parts bin. The newer style is very much sturdier and must have a slightly > different 'geometry'. I get positive brake engagment for holding on my > 5-6% > driveway now without even 'maxing-out' my efforts or worrying about pulling > that flimsey old lever right the heck out of the floor, or something. > I got mine from the Samba classifieds. Now I need a new style > lever 'boot' as the old style doesn't fit quite right... > > And while I was under the van I noticed my ebrake cable adjuster stuff and > my shift linkage were rubbing slightly on one of my fuel lines...I took an > old fuel line hose and split it lengthwise and put that over the line gas > line as a guard against that slight rubbing and also against rocks and > gravel that might get tossed up by the front tires.. > Don Hanson >

-- Mark 1990 Westy (2.1 - manual)