Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Dec 2009 11:08:07 -0900
From:         Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>
Subject:      2WD Westy sucks in mud
Comments: To: "John C..." <jcarp2001@gmail.com>

I have the peleoquin torque biasing differential in my 89 westy automatic. I have absolutely no regrets after installing it last summer. As I said in a previous message, it makes the van drive totally different as all power is used for propelling the van forward. You can really notice it going around corners, where the van hugs the road as you accelerate through corners. On slippery roads, I have noticed that when the rear end wants to slide, it very quickly corrects itself. Naturally, one needs to go easy on gas or you can make the rear end fish tale and get yourself in trouble. The biggest thing with torque biasing differentials is they work best when at least one of the rear tires has traction. I look at it as kind of a multiplier. If one of the rear tires has 10% traction, then 30% or so will transfer to the other and shift back and forth seamlessly. But, if you have O traction, 0x0 is zero. This is where pulling up on the emergency brake a click or two will usually get you going, but have yet to do that. No, it's not a locker, and no it's not four-wheel-drive, but it is the best option we have available, and IMO works quite well. It's actually much more practical than a locker, as you will appreciate how much it improves the drivability of the van every time you use it, and not just when you're stuck. The reality is that the torque biasing differentials will keep you from getting stuck in the first place. I'm very happy and like the extra peace of mind.

Yes, they are expensive, but in the grander scheme of things, $1200 is not all that much considering all the extra upgrades that I've made to the van to make it reliable.

Troy

<<And for Automatics? I'm curious how the Posi-traction differential or ATB (automatic torque biasing), for Automatics workout that our vendors sell ? *http://tinyurl.com/yka8ljj* Pricey for sure, but, worth it? Anyone using or has driven one? JC...>>