Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Dec 2009 10:21:39 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Syncro as a daily driver?
Comments: To: Rowan Tipton <uther@dragonhome.org>
Comments: cc: Rowan Tipton <uther@dragonhome.org>

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Rowan Tipton wrote:

> i wonder about the environmental costs of owning three cars as opposed > to one that gets bad gas milage. i have read that by the time a car > is built it has created around a quarter of the pollution it will > create in it's lifetime. since i have no idea where i read that it > may be totally incorrect.>

The environmental cost of manufacturing is amortized over the life of the vehicle. What that means is that if I drive a vehicle 300K miles, I distribute the environmental cost of manufacturing, which become small on a per mile basis. If I buy one and crash it after 1000 miles, the costs are large. Three vehicles vs. one vehicle becomes moot in that context, since it is the total vehicle mileage that matters. If, over my life, I drive a million miles total, whether I do that in one or in three vehicles is irrelevant. Now, if I trash each vehicle after only 100K miles and replace it, then I am irresponsible. But my having three tells nothing about whether I am responsible. It is my driving habits that matter. I can extend the life of those three vehicles and ammortize the environmental cost just as I do the dollar cost. Some of the vehicles I've owned have attained 300K miles before being moved on -- usually to another driver. My daughter in Spokane now drives the Corolla that I bought new in 1993. It has 190K miles. The Honda that I bought new in 1997 and that my wife drives daily to work has 193K miles. Both have long lives ahead of them. I fully expect the Prius to have a comparably long life -- it may be the last new car I ever buy. The vanagon -- I'm doing what you guys recommend -- keeping it on the road, but I'm reserving it for special uses that the others don't serve, which should extend its life even more.

David McNeely