Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Dec 2009 10:37:37 -0600
From:         Mike South <msouth@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      blower fan and wipers not working after aux. battery installation

Hi,

I did GoWesty's auxiliary battery installation on my '85 Westy. The stuff that is powered by the aux. battery seems to work ok (at least the stuff I tested, including the clock and the light by the driver side door. When I buttoned it all up and went for a drive, the wipers didn't work. Then I noticed that the blower fan was not working.

Bentley 97.66 shows both of those downstream from a relay ("defog cut out relay (x-cntct)"), which I checked and appears to be working, and a fuse (S10) which I don't think is blown (visual, continuity, voltage at both ends).

More information (since I don't know what might be relevant--I am a newbie at this):

Wiper delay quit working a couple months ago in the middle of a drive in the rain, but the wipers still worked.

On the same trip (don't remember the sequence), the rear window defrost switch (also downstream of the same relay, btw) went back behind the panel when I tried to turn it on one time. It's still back there.

A couple of times (once on that trip) I have had it have a hard time starting when starting after several hours of driving then stopping to pump gas. Then the most recent time, it wouldn't start at all after about a ten minute drive. I let it sit an hour and it started fine. That (as well as the trip mentioned above) was before the aux battery installation. Negative starter battery post to frame is 1.6 ohms (measured because I read something about a poor grounding causing that kind of thing)

It's 26 degrees Fahrenheit today. The voltage across the posts of the starter battery was 12.18 cold. Immediately after I started it, while it was running, it measured 11.51 volts..

To make sure the relay switch mentioned above was closing, I tested at the 87 connection while running, 10.89 volts.

Downstream of the S10 fuse, 10.67 volts while running.

What should I check next?

mike