Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Dec 2009 19:54:46 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Alaska; Okay, How Cold Is It? Vanagon Content
Comments: To: Zolly <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>

When you live in extreme environments, where ever it is, I think it just follows that normalcy is extreme. Living in the extreme cold of the north was an eye opener for me, and I came to more fully appreciate the tales of the Gold Rush Days, etc. I'm sure living in arid desert environs and other places has it's challenges as well.

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

Zolly wrote: > Very fascinating to read about the normalcy of the far north > lifestyle. I'm > sure, there are many other interesting differencies which I would gladly > read about if you would compile them for us or just me. It would be an > interesting reading for my teenage boys for Christmas. > I have seen a few Vanagon Campers in Alaska. > Zoltan > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 3:45 PM > Subject: Re: Okay, How Cold Is It? Vanagon Content > > >> When I lived in the Far North - it wasn't cold until below zero F. It >> would often get down around -35F and just hang there for days. Steam and >> smoke would not rise, and you could look at the vents on homes and watch >> the vent condensation rise above the pipe about 6 inches then fall back >> in a stream plunging down the roof and over the edge to the ground like >> a stream falling through the mountains. Contributed a lot to ground fog. >> When the temperature would rise to Zero F it was like spring, and if it >> got to 15F it was darn near a heat wave. People would run around in >> their shirtsleeves - running n and out of the stores, etc, etc. But, all >> Alaskans knew - and I'm sure others in the Frozen North Country - knew - >> keep that parka and those boots in the car at all times. NEVER EVER go >> anywhere without them. It's a way of life - and guarantees life. >> >> John Rodgers >> Clayartist and Moldmaker >> 88'GL VW Bus Driver >> Chelsea, AL >> Http://www.moldhaus.com >> >> >> >> Don Spence wrote: >>> What a bunch of whiners! Yesterday morning it was -28C (-20F). My >>> westy has squared tires and sits forlornly under 18 inches of fresh >>> snow. Looks like an adventure wagon. >>> >>> >>>> Okay, How Cold Is It? Vanagon Content >>> >>> > > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > > > > > No virus found in this incoming message. > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > Version: 8.5.426 / Virus Database: 270.14.100/2554 - Release Date: > 12/09/09 > 07:32:00 > >