Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Dec 2009 07:43:52 -0800
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: How long should fuel tank grommets last? (a little long)
Comments: To: T Collins <tonycollin@gmail.com>

RE: How long should fuel lines last? Strange timing on this question, especially about the Medusa's Head on top of the gas tank. I had all soft lines replaced and the tank dropped and all grommets and hoses replaced in Dec 2005, complete with new (now NLA but some vendors have a replacement) crossover piping. And started to get gas smell and then noticeable overflow on fill up again after only a couple of years. And it got worse recently and I had my current mechanic tackle the problem just a couple of weeks ago. But it was not normal deterioration. The work done previously had used small screw clamps on many (all?) of the fittings. These are barb type connections for the small hoses in the crossover network and aren't meant to have clamps on them. The clamps had caused the ends of the hoses to split in several places. BTW, my mechanic, because he has small hands and knew exactly what he was doing, was able to do the replacement without dropping the tank, a small miracle. So, how long should they last? I expect more than two or three years when done right. I'm sure others with more direct experience will have other comments on this question.