Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Dec 2009 15:38:17 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Okay, How Cold Is It? Vanagon Content
Comments: To: Matthew Snook <matt@SNOOKSBAND.COM>

I would think adequate venting is the key. But in really cold weather, you really have to have some big heating system to sufficiently heat the interior to drive out the moisture. And - it is a big problem in any cold climate. My recollections of Alaska live include lots of frost build-up in places you didn't want it. In my shop in Soldotna, Alaska - which was a big butler building - Moisture in the air over winter would work its way through the walls and insulation to the outside skin of the building. It would then freeze and build up over winter. Then if there was a warming spell, the frost would melt, then it would literally rain inside. Granted the building was constructed the best - particularly the insulations installation, but it was an adventure. And of course, mine was a ceramic manufacturing plant actually, so with all that water in the air - it meant lots of frost. We had dropped ceilings,, and it was only the space below the ceiling line that was heated. Above that was simple residual heat, and that is where the moisture would rise to, cooling as it went - right out to the metal skin to freeze just inside. Like I said - it was an adventure.

But in a Vanagon - similar problems. Metals surfaces, minimal insulation, virtually no vapor barriers. Same problems. Need lots of heat and open vents to keep that moisture pushed out. Hard to do in a Van.

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

Matthew Snook wrote: > I would agree with that: it's not the cold, it's the humidity. And it only > gets worse when you full-time it. You can always turn on a heater and dress > for the cold. But over time the interior of the Westy, being colder than a > human _or_ the heater, retains so much moisture that it becomes difficult to > get clear windows - at any time of day! > > Matt > > -----Original Message----- > From: Mark Tuovinen > Subject: Re: Okay, How Cold Is It? Vanagon Content > > As long as it is above zero F I often literally run wearing a short sleeve > shirt when I am out for a run. I start with a windbreaker over it and after > a mile or so to warm up usually take it and my gloves and headband off. It > is all about what you are acclimated to. The worst part is that the van > fogs/ices up on the inside of the windows(VC) afterwards, cold van plus hot > person after an hour plus run makes for heavy condensation inside. I could > use a dehumidifier in my van so I can see out enough to avoid the brown > rats(moose) of Anchorage. Vanagon vs moose is a crash test I have not seen > yet and do not want to be the test driver for. > > Mark in AK > > >