Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Dec 2009 16:22:00 -0700
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: leaking gas when engine is on (long)
Comments: To: Sheilah Rogers <sheilah@sheilah.org>

Sheilah, Just an afterthought and not having read ALL the posts on this issue, but many of them; consider putting a lot of light on and under the engine area, also a large box fan for circulation, then unplug the middle distributor wire so there is "no fire in the hole", and have someone crank the engine over, while others stand and lay to watch for the leaks in the hoses.

The fuel pump will come on so you will have pressure in the system, but the engine won't start and even though you have juice to the starter, you won't be creating a running engine nor heat. Without the possibility to have a gas vapor buildup due to the fan, you will likely get a very good idea where the leaks are. It may go a long way to solving your getting the van out of the parking facility without any risk of fire, so you can get the van to a preferred shop.

bob