Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Dec 2009 19:10:25 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: leaking gas when engine is on (long)
Comments: To: Sheilah Rogers <sheilah@SHEILAH.ORG>

Dear Sheilagh,

No need for a tow truck -- find a friend with a trailer hitch, buy a towing strap (?$25? from auto parts place) and hook it to the tiedown loop under the right side of the front bumper, and gently haul the thing up to the top of the hill. Then unhitch it and let it roll down as you suggest. Nota Bene: there is technique involved in this. The most important thing is that you must begin with the strap taut, and not allow it to go slack while towing. This means starting up very gently, and using the brakes in the van to keep a strain if it shows any sign of catching up to the tow car. If the strap should go slack and one of the front wheels pins it to the ground the results will be dramatic. The other most important thing is *do not* use a chain unless you like to see bits of metal flying through the air. Proper towing straps are made of nylon that has stretch to it.

At 12:44 PM 12/9/2009, Sheilah Rogers wrote: >i couldn't find anything on leaky gas lines though my review of >these websites though. all i know is that there's apparently a bunch >of gas hoses (two off each reservoir x2, from the main tank to the >engine). all in all, i hear there's about 12 or so.

There are two classes of hose in the fuel system -- the little hoses to the saddle tanks, the various hoses and fittings on top of the tank, the fuel return line from the engine and the supply line as far as the fuel pump all operate at or near atmospheric pressure. Leaks from these will not vary much whether the engine is running or not.

The hose from the fuel pump (about amidships inboard of the right-hand chassis rail underneath the van) to the fuel pressure regulator and from the pressure regulator to and from the injectors on each side run at close to 40 psi whenever the engine runs and any leaks will normally squirt out. You mentioned "over the engine" -- if you mean from the area where the fuel hoses pass through the firewall, as someone has mentioned the likely spot is the plastic fitting on the firewall, or the connections to it either side. This fitting is prone to crack and should be removed and replaced with straight hose.

Otherwise any of the hoses directly on top of the engine going to the pressure regulator and the "fuel rails" that feed the injectors, and the very short hoses between the fuel rails and the injectors could all be the source. Once you get it out in the open somewhere where gasoline vapors can roll down hill in a safe direction, you can have someone operate the key while you look. Each time you turn the key on the fuel pump will run for a few seconds and pressurize the lines.

If any of the pressurized lines is cracking at the ends or otherwise leaky, they should all be replaced. There are kits available from Bus Depot, Van-Again and no doubt others as well. Again, the plastic fitting on the firewall is unnecessary and dangerous.

>i (perhaps erroneously) figure that if all these hoses are about due >to leak, then why not replace them ALL at once. isn't that somehow >cheaper (certainly less of a headache) than one by one they begin >a'leaking? cuz i've already had 4 leaks and it blows.

So far your leaks have been on the unpressurized side, I think; and if you haven't replaced the small lines to the saddle tanks in the fender wells you ought to. They'll weep when the tank is just filled.

>the reason why i'm posting all this is that i'm afraid that the >engine will catch on fire. i suppose i might be too paranoid about this,

You're not. Gasoline vapor is almost explosive and it's very easy to light.

> but a little personal detail about me is that i'm one of those > kids that managed to start a big ol' kitchen fire (boiling oil) so > now i'm ahem, weary of fire. ha!

I should think! Did you get hurt? One of my brothers managed to dump hot oil from a Burger King Fry-O-Lator down his pants, but at least it wasn't on fire.

Yours (and a belated welcome), David