Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Dec 2009 11:37:02 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: How not to explore the back roads of Death Valley
Comments: To: Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@q.com>

Yes, the language complication for travelers.

Probably a bit of 'cultural' misunderstanding also for a European visitor to the US..I'd suppose that in Europe they have nothing like Death Valley and that a German "National Park" ( or whatever they have in Europe) is even more 'structured' than our national parks...of which Death Valley NP is one of the least 'formal' (so far) of any I have visited. However, anyone with eyes should be able to see their tires sinking into deep sand or see rocks higher than the ground clearance of their vehicle. Just because there is not a sign you can understand it's not going to be any different in reality..if you are in danger of disabling your vehicle or being stranded..you shouldn't need a sign or a ranger standing there to tell you to 'go back'..Also, it takes the best part of a whole day to arrive at Death Valley NP, traveling though similar desert country to get there. When they have rolled down their windows and encountered that 120+F temp, they would have to be aware that it was 'pretty hot' or maybe even very hot.

A slightly different aspect of the Urban Mentality I mentioned in my other post and one that is Vanagon-specific is how some City drivers have no understanding of passing. I surmise that unless there are more than two lanes on a road, some city folks may be unaware that they are allowed to pass and may in fact do so at any time, if there aren't any oncoming vehicles using that one other lane. I have had drivers follow me for miles and miles on a normal two lane highway in wide open country. No danger passing, but they ride right up behind and then just sit there forever. I think it's because they may never have encountered a two lane highway...or something. Don Hanson On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@q.com> wrote: