Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Dec 2009 13:23:58 -0700
From:         Keith Hughes <keithahughes@Q.COM>
Subject:      Re: About coolant
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@gmail.com>

Rocket J Squirrel wrote: > Well, yeah it does because I started this thread to discuss on the > generic level water v glycol+water as a coolant for high temps, but on > another level it was to help me follow up to a discussion I had with > my son, who drives a Jeep and off-roads in desert heat, in which he > said that he runs water+surfactant in summer for increased cooling. > (That he didn't flush the system before winter arrived and the coolant > turned into slush is a sidebar -- or sideshow -- issue.) > > I wanted to get back to him on the relative cooling abilities of > water/glycol+water and until the boiling point issue was raised I > thought I (and maybe some Vanagon owners, considering the number of > them who chimed in recommending water in summer) had it figured out. > So I dunno whether I have an answer for my son at this time, but > that's not what this list is about so I'll have let that go. Well, the real question, though, is not whether straight water is a better heat transfer medium than water/glycol. That's simple; yes it is much better. For that single parameter. *Functionally*, however, you have to evaluate the overall effect based on how its used.

Basically, straight water will cool better until you reach boiling, then you have a catastrophic cascading failure; water gets ejected into the overflow, decreasing system pressure and liquid volume, allowing more boiling and decreasing cooling efficiency even more, creating more water ejection, in a self reinforcing cycle. Using a water/glycol mix will likely make the engine run a little hotter, but from the engine's perspective, there's little difference between 210°F and 220°F as far as what the cylinder and head temperatures get to. Whereas, once you get pump cavitation, although the temp gauge may say 215°F, the actual cylinder and head temps will be much higher than with water/glycol at 220°F. Once the temperature/pressure curve reaches the point where gas drops out of solution (i.e. boiling point) the heat capacity of the system (and thus cooling ability) drops like a rock. So, yes water cools much better, until the point where it quits cooling much at all and you melt down.

Also, you might point out to him that water *with a surfactant* is not pure water either. Anything you put in it will change the freezing and boiling points, and will also lower the cooling capacity as well. IME, the WBX is much more in need of an increased boiling point in the desert in summer than it is in need of a little better heat transfer medium. The Jeep? Who knows, depends on how good the cooling system is. But if its good enough that he doesn't need boilover protection, then he's certainly unlikely to need the extra cooling capacity of straight water either.

Keith Hughes '86 Westy Tiico (Marvin)