Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:41:03 -0700
From:         Keith Hughes <keithahughes@Q.COM>
Subject:      Re: About coolant

> Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 19:22:09 -0800 > From: Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM> > Subject: Re: About coolant > > --snip-- =20 > As long as your cooling system is adequate (e.g. not a stock vanagon in = > the desert)=20 > --snip-- > > I think my radiator is operating at less than optimum efficiency, but = > even with that on my gauge the bottom of the needle sits right at or = > slightly above the LED on 110F days in in-town traffic. The fan comes = > on, the needle holds, and all is normal. At highway speeds it generally = > sits right on the LED, even when it's that hot out. During this cool = > weather it's been staying on the LED.=20 > > On the climb up Sherman's Pass (north of Bishop) with five people, a dog = > and all of our camping gear, the needle went near the top of the gauge = >

How does one equate overheating multiple times, requiring pulling over and stopping, with *adequate* cooling? Sort of the definition of inadequate IMO. I always had that exact problem with my WBX climbing much of anything in 100-110°F+ weather, or say fighting a headwind through Indio in August, etc. Not to mention that the A/C was unusable most of July and August here in Phoenix due to overheating issues - even at highway speeds, and that was with a new radiator and water pump.

After driving 9 years here with a WBX, and now 7 years with a Tiico conversion, there is no comparison. The I-4 never overheats on any long pull, no matter what the ambient, using the same radiator, and under the same conditions, that had the WBX overheating big time . Hence my use of the "stock vanagon" description. The Tiico brings with it a host of other charming "features" of course, but at least overheating isn't one of them.

Maybe you've been luckier than I, but inadequate cooling was *always* an issue with my WBX'er, the prime reason I did the conversion instead of a WBX rebuild. Not sure I got the better side of that deal, but 'you pays your money and you takes your chances'. But it runs cool.... ;-)

Keith Hughes '86 Westy Tiico (Marvin)