Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:01:18 -0600
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: starter dead? 88 GL Auto
Comments: To: Bobby Brown <bobbybrown1@gmail.com>

Listen to your uncle. This is a common problem. I have encountered it on 3 different vanagons, usually after an hour or two at expressway speed. Usually it would be OK after cooling down. One common solution is to install a 50 amp relay near the starter, perhaps under the back seat. The relay is operated by the current from the ignition switch which originally went to the solenoid. When the relay is activated it connects the large +12 terminal on the starter to the solenoid control terminal. Some of our favorite vendors sell a "hard start relay" kit. The original setup has about 35 amps flowing thru the contacts in the ignition switch, then thru barely adequate wiring all the way to the starter. As the years pass, the contacts in the switch wear, the connections corrode, and the solenoid gets a little gummed up. Eventually these things add up to trouble. With a MT we could park on a hill or get everybody out of the van to push. With an AT we had a hammer; usually having one person turn the key while the braver volunteer went underneath to whack the starter. It is said that the blow can be struck by using a broomstick or the like inserted past the rear tire. Since the ground for the solenoid is thru the circuit of the starter itself, if the brushes get bad enough, the solenoid will not operate regardless of the other circuitry. Then it is time to have the starter rebuilt.

Have fun, Larry A.

On 12/14/09, Bobby Brown <bobbybrown1@gmail.com> wrote: > Just got back from about a 500 mile round trip, everything ran great. > > Went to crank it up and no nothing from starter. I've got lights, radio, > etc. Battery says 12.7v. I can hear the fuel pump. > > My uncle says to take a hammer and "bang" on the starter a few times to > loosen the soleniod? > > What gives? What is the path to diagnose? I'm lost. > > -- > Bobby >