Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Dec 2009 17:23:06 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Update
Comments: To: Mark Hineline <hineline@HELIX.UCSD.EDU>

4 grand a year is Way high in my experience/opinion ( well at one well known west coast shop, that wouldn't be nearly enough annually :-) ) but, 4 K will get you a semi-decent non-camper vanagon for sure.

A vanagon might burn more fuel than a jetta, but it's about 5 times more useful/flexible. Your plan sounds fine to me, and I don't know if you are doing repairs yourself, or paying professionally for work, but even paying someone to do the work, 4 grand year sounds high to me, unless you start with a vanagon that has an engine/trans etc about to die.

and this is 2WD, right ? Syncro's are a different story, and yes, they do 'like money' at times for sure.

Here in Oregon, I have about a dozen vanagons, some project ones, some parts one, and I save *every* last vanagon part. It does seem they are rare in junkyards , I'll agree with that pretty much. But ......... I can supply great non-rusted non-camper vanagons just fine. I'm working on 7 project ones to sell, and have about 4 or 5 parts vans after those.

I would guess that in your area, most likely vanagons are loved, owned, and saved, or parked in yards, and not so much in junkyards.

But we're saving and loving all of them that we can ! There is yet TONS of life and usefulness in them !

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Hineline" <hineline@HELIX.UCSD.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 3:27 PM Subject: Update