Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Dec 2009 17:51:03 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: head gaskets
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

I suspect that not all vanagon owners understand that waterboxer 'head gaskets' are unlike Normal headgaskets.

on normal headgaskets, the head bolts/nuts are clamping down with extreme force, between too flat surfaces, with a very well made head gasket - either several layers of material, or in more modern designs multiple layers of fine metal.

Waterboxer 'head gaskets' are nothing like that. The head nuts are toqued to only 35 lbs, in order to squease the Rubber, yes rubber, outer water retention gaskets 'just the right amount'. The torque of the nuts has nothing to do with how squeased the rubber gaskets are.- the heads botom out on the barrels, determining the 'squease distance." The rubber gaskets need to be squeazed the right amount, too tight, and they'll pinch and leak before they should, not enough, and they won't seal that well and be a problem before it should be.

there is a 'step distance' that determines how well the rubber gaskets are squeazed. It can vary from head to head, particularily with AMC heads. I have seen AMC heads that don't even sit flat on the barrllels, squeazing the rubber gasket too much at one end and not enough at the other.

it is possible to machine waterboxer heads to 'fix' the step distance if it's off, but not many machinists can or will do it. If the flat surface is pitted, equal amounts of materials can be taken off both the flat bottom and where the head sits on top of the barrels.

bottom line, it's a dumb design. And .......unlike normal heads and head gaskets, just resurfacing the bottom of the head, like a normal head, is not an option. If you did that without removing material where the barrels sit, you'd not be squeezing the rubber gaskets enough any more. Both surfaces need to be done equally, and as I said, not all that many machinists can or will do it. It's a converted air-cooled design afterall, VW's 'engine conversion .... hey, let's just put water jackets on the block around the barrels, and keep the exact same head/barrel/block relationship that we had with the air-cooled design. VW has admitted that it's not a good design- they have paid for many to be re-done, even after out of warrantee.

what I do is check that gap where the rubber gasket goes very, very carefully. Measure that with head sitting on the barrels with the metal rings.....the gap between head and block, where the rubber gasket goes. 'The perfect' dimension ., forget what it is right now, 137 thousandths ( inches ) is in my mind right now, but don't quote me on that. Done carefully ........they can stay on there for a good long time. Mainly, I wanted to mention that it's not a matter of the head being warped or pitted and needing simple resurfacing. They ain't that kinda head !

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Mcneely" <mcneely4@COX.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:34 PM Subject: head gaskets