Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:08:30 -0500
From:         Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Telemetry (was Re: Coolant pressure test... video.)
Comments: To: Richard DIXON <dickd@SYMPATICO.CA>

Indeed, these are very helpful videos. I am also looking forward to the resolution on this one, Hopefully Ben records and uploads the diagnostics on that as well. S'il vous plait ???

At the core of all this though, there is a problem I am wondering how to solve... The telemetry that VW designed to monitor conditions in our engines is TERRIBLE!!! And as it ages it is not getting better.

This past week I developed a small leak in a coolant hose. The hose in question was the one that feeds water from the pump into the thermostat housing. The only warning I had was when the low coolant light started flashing. The engine temps came up a little, but not a lot. I pulled over, checked the coolant level and it was low. I could not see a leak because the coolant level had already dropped below the thermostat hose, and I had stopped the engine.

I didn't have any coolant aboard, so I got back on the highway to get off at the next ramp. The temps came up a little, but not far. I got off the highway, and the engine stalled, right across the road from a service station where I was able to buy some coolant. I put it in the van and immediately saw about $10 worth go right out through the torn hose.

I restarted the van and limped another 100 yards to a safe parking spot and removed the hose. Luckily for me I could read the part number stamped into it. I called the local NAPA, about 2 miles away and they didn't have the hose in stock, but they were kind enough to call their supplier, who had it to them in just over an hour. Did I mention that this happened on the first major snow day of the year in Toronto? I got the hose installed and added another gallon and a half of coolant and the van has been fine since.

BUT WHY WHY WHY WOULDN'T VW PUT A TEMP SENSOR ON THE ENGINE, INSTEAD OF IN THE COOLANT????

Which reminds me... Is there a list vendor who sells a sender for a VDO oil temperature gauge? I am thinking I will should get that installed sooner, rather than later. This *might* have helped me avoid risking damage to my engine.