Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:26:18 -0800
From:         dylan <insyncro@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 Cooling System Oddity: Since we are on the topic of
              coolant              issues. (kinda long)
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>

a small crack in the expansion tank could be closed when cool and open with pressure and heat. the cap may be cross threaded too. i always replace that tank with engine overhaul or swap. the heat cycling breaks them down over time. dylan ________________________________ From: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Wed, December 16, 2009 11:29:03 AM Subject: 2.1 Cooling System Oddity: Since we are on the topic of coolant issues. (kinda long) OK, gang here is a strange one - and I may not have enough info yet for anyone to really answer thins - but maybe someone has experienced this before. We just took the bus for it's longest trip to date with the new engine - roughly 400miles round trip. It ran great and we didn't have any real issues - I don't think. When we got to our destination, Patty had gone into somewhere while I waited - engine idling - It being a new to me engine I decided to get out and take a look and see that we weren't having any leaks or anything. Well, much to my surprise there was coolant leaking - it was coming down from the fill tank area (not the one behind the license plate) - and dripping onto the exhaust where the J-pipe meets the Cat. Not a gushing leak but more than a drip. Panic  set in and I turned off the engine. I opened the engine lid to look and couldn't find where the leak came from - hoses to the tank all good - no wetness areound the cap (which is brand new). Gauge didn't go hot and warning light never blonked (they both work). So being just a couple miles from our friends house I decided to get there and keep a close eye on things (go ahead flame me). The next morning my friends and I (all more Vanagon savy than I am) fired up my bus and let it idle until it got up to temp. No leak - nothing - nothing at all. I did have to add a bit of coolant to the overflow tank (behind the license plate) but it wasn't empty either - main tank was fine as far as level goes). So we tentativley headed home. I kept a close eye on things - temp was good all the way home - no warning light - no leak at all. Monday, on my way home from work I had to stop (close to home) and left the bus running while I ran in somewhere. Came out and the leak was back. (no over heating or warning light). Turned it off. Decided once again to head home (again flame me if you must). When I got home I left it running and got out to inspect - no leak. The only other symptom is the heat is weak up front - but great in the back. No leaking from the engine - no coolant in the oil. So what the heck is going on? I cannot find where it is leaking from but it is definitely coming from the main tank area - again none of the hoses or the cap appear to be the problem. If the tank was cracked couldn't I expect to see a leak all the time. I'm so confused. I guess m6y next step is to follow the video Ben just posted and see what happens. -- Thanks, Jeff '90 Carat (Grover) '86 (We call this one Parts) '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus