Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Dec 2009 22:20:05 -0500
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Telemetry (was Re: Coolant pressure test... video.)
Comments: To: Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>

Don't worry, Craig is way over 30, and a gentlemen on top.

As for his question i think i know why, Craig has a Air-Cool logo stamp on his heart :-)

To Craig, what I personally don't like about Vanagon it's the expansion tank, but that is not a Vanagon only problem and even not VW only. Even me I still use them in the Subi conversion but the good news is that there is basically no pressure in it.

If i'm right and by your post you have a 1.9L, the engine temp sender and the ECU temp sender are side by side, in the hottest spot (coolant wise).

On most normal car you don't even have coolant level sender, some do but it's in the refill tank. The EX tank will drop coolant first because it's the highest point... in the back, the only other higher point is the radiator upper bleed screw, still, if you loose coolant even there the EX tank will empty itself.

That said, it's still a very strange and complex cooling system. It as work yes but that doesn't justify the complexity. Same goes for the very stupid fuel line layout. That is a lot of hoses for such a small van.

The problem now is the ageing cluster, wire and sender. Like you see on my video, that stupid thing is showing everything but the real engine temperature. I swapped the cluster this morning and it's still acting strangely, yes it as a new sender. Finally after almost 2 hours i traced the problem, bad connector/wire in the junction box.

You could had a safety/second gauge, maybe even a head temp VDO on the plug like on air cool? Or a second VDO water cool monitoring system.

At some point I agree with others as to the system did his job, even if I don't agree with the system at all.

So, to all you guys who think your ALT light will save you van of a total meltdown, go unplug your ALT warning light wire... don't be surprise if you see no warning in the cluster.

Om some conversion I use 2 sender: http://www.benplace.com/fabian/subi_conv_003.jpg The left one is ECM and cluster, the little right one is a second temp gauge.

This view show you where the sender are located: http://www.benplace.com/fabian/subi_conv_001.jpg

That shinny aluminum part on top of the engine is call the coolant manifold, in our case in a reverse position (from car compare to van). This is the exhaust of hot coolant, both side of engine join together in a very direct way.

Understand that monitoring the coolant temperature at the hottest point is the most effective way of warning you about an engine/coolant problem. Remember that water/coolant will react to heat way faster than oil, but I'm sure you know that.

Voila my good friend.

Ben