Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:30:06 -0500
From:         B Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>
Subject:      Re: head gaskets
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

My apology if I missed that. Leaky heads at only 30K eh? I think the experts need to chime in here. You need to find out "why" they are leaking at only 30K. Was it a crappy rebuild, did the engine overheat, etc. Maybe it was just a bad seal and a new gasket will fix it for years. These might only be questions to answer once the heads were off or maybe possibly finding the history of the rebuild. Was it just a ring job and new gaskets or a complete rebuild with new pistons, heads, etc.

Bryan

-----Original Message----- From: mcneely4@cox.net [mailto:mcneely4@cox.net] Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:14 AM To: bfeddish@netreach.net Cc: mcneely4@COX.NET; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: RE: head gaskets

Well, I did say that the engine only has 30K miles on a rebuild, according to paperwork I got when I bought the beast last spring. I have no idea where the rebuild came from (paperwork just states under "parts" that a "longblock engine replacement" was a part of the work done).

So, you are saying either new heads or mill these, at minimum? thanks, Dave Mc